An Irish Night at the Castle: The Living and the Dead
This is the first annual Irish Gala to be held at Dunafon Castle in Kittredge. The event is a fundraiser to support the efforts of Irish Network Colorado (INCO) to erect a memorial in Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville honoring the thousands of Irish immigrants who died there unknown in the late 19th century.
The Catholic-Free section of the cemetery has 1500-2000 unmarked and sunken graves dating from the late 1800’s, most belonging to Irish immigrants, many of whom were miners and who died as a result of their terrible working and living conditions. The proposed memorial will tell the history of this Irish community and also memorialize those buried there, placing their lives into a larger context that represents the story of Irish immigrants throughout the Rocky Mountain mining region in the 19th century.
Since other Colorado cemeteries where Irish immigrants are buried are in a similar state of disrepair, gala organizers would like to dedicate the gala each year to a different site.
Thanks to the generosity of owner of Mike Dunafon, the castle, which is modeled on Celtic castles of the 13th century, will create the perfect backdrop for the 2018 black-tie event celebrating Irish success and suffering in Colorado.
Tickets for the Gala include the following
- Luxury transport to and from downtown Denver to the event or valet parking at the Castle. Coach leaves from the Celtic on Market at 5.30pm and returns at 11.30pm.
- Cocktail hour, three course dinner and Irish coffee dessert.
- All beverages including Jameson, Guinness products, Concannon wines, Kilbeggan and Tullamore Dew.
- Guests will be greeted by a piper at the castle door, entertained by Irish session musicians during the cocktail hour and a harpist during dinner.
- Dancing will follow dinner and guests will have the opportunity to tour the Castle grounds throughout the evening.
Sponsorships are also available at varying levels. If you are interested in being a sponsor for the event, please contact Noel Hickey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider supporting this effort to honor the memory of those Irish immigrants who came to Colorado in search of a better life, who died here trying to find it, and who deserve not to be forgotten.
Dunafon Castle in Kittredge
Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville
Learn more about the Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville in this Irish Times article.