An Irish Night at the Capital: The Living and the Dead
Our annual Irish Gala has been moved from Dunafon Castle to the Capital Grille and Larimer Square in downtown Denver. The event is a fundraiser to support the efforts of Irish Network Colorado (INCO) to erect a memorial in Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville honoring the thousands of Irish immigrants who died there unknown in the late 19th century.
The Catholic-Free section of the cemetery has 1500-2000 unmarked and sunken graves dating from the late 1800’s, most belonging to Irish immigrants, many of whom were miners and who died as a result of their terrible working and living conditions. The proposed memorial will tell the history of this Irish community and also memorialize those buried there, placing their lives into a larger context that represents the story of Irish immigrants throughout the Rocky Mountain mining region in the 19th century.
The Capital Grille and the pedestrianized Larimer Square will create the perfect backdrop for the 2020 black-tie event celebrating Irish success and suffering in Colorado.
NOTE: The Gala is sold out - only people who have already confirmed their tickets with Noel Hickey should register and pay for their tickets on our site.
COVID 19 Considerations:
- The event will be held outdoors in Larimer Square and tables will be spaced in compliance with state recommendations.
- Attendees will be required to have their temperatures checked prior to entering the Capital Grille.
- Masks will be mandatory when indoors in the Capital Grille.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located in several locations around the venue.
Tickets for the Gala include the following
- Cocktail hour, three course dinner and Irish coffee dessert.
- All beverages including Jameson, Guinness products, Concannon wines, Kilbeggan and Tullamore Dew.
- Guests will be greeted by a piper, entertained by Irish session musicians during the cocktail hour and a harpist during dinner.
- Dancing will follow dinner.
Sponsorships are also available at varying levels. If you are interested in being a sponsor for the event, please contact Noel Hickey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to attend the Gala, you may wish to make a donation directly to our Leadville Irish Miners Memorial fund. Click on the button below to make your donation.
Please consider supporting this effort to honor the memory of those Irish immigrants who came to Colorado in search of a better life, who died here trying to find it, and who deserve not to be forgotten.
Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville
Learn more about the Evergreen Cemetery in Leadville in this Irish Times article.